Sunday, April 6, 2008

Take Your Stinking Paws Off Me You Damn Dirty Disease!


In the early hours of Saturday morning the world lost a big screen hero and a real life tough guy Charlton Heston. For me the chiseled jaw, broad shoulders and resonating voice of the actor were the qualities that made him perfect for the characters he played. I will fondly remember him as Ben Hur ( Ben Hur 1959 ) George Taylor ( Planet Of The Apes 1968 ) Robert Neville ( Omega Man 1971 ) Detective Robert Thorn ( Soylent Green 1973 ) He was my Mum's screen idol and because of this she took me to see him in one of the first films I ever saw as a child, Planet Of The Apes. It was this film that made me make - up effects crazy and a science fiction fan for life. It was also my introduction to this man's body of excellent work and I still haven't gotten around to seeing all of them yet. Now that he's gone I shall be investigating his back catalogue of films and perhaps find the time to see more of him in action. Today at my house we will be holding our own little tribute to him by watching one of his films and creating a little mini shrine on our computers with photos of him. I'll also move my 12 inch Sideshow figure of Heston as George Taylor the Astronaut to a place on my desk besides my computer.

Memorable Charlton Heston quotes.

"I don't seem to have a 20th century face"
Charlton Heston

How true and how perfect his face was for the man who raced chariots in 26 AD, or the astronaut who crash lands back to Earth in the year 3978 AD and has to fight for survival in a land of simians, or the doctor who saved mankind from a plague in the not so distant future of 1977 or the cop in 2022 who uncovered the secret of Soylent Green.


"It's been quite a ride. I loved every minute of it"
Charlton Heston
And so have we, thank you Mr. Heston may you rest in peace.

No comments: